Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Guest Blogger: The Reinvention of the Modern Day Black Man...

Yesterday I decided to check out a friend's blog to support and see his angle on different subjects. I came upon a really interesting blog entry that I must share with everyone:


DO NOT tell me to reach for the damn Sky, when there are footprints on the EFFIN moon!!!:
What standards would a 24 year old college graduate use to measure himself? They say the best standards to measure yourself by are your own, and that to live up to another’s standards is irrational. That’s usually a great rule of thumb when everyone else’s standards are higher than your own. What happens when your standards for yourself are higher than most? When this occurs, you become your own worst enemy. Constantly pushing yourself maybe harder than you need to, resulting in lapses of self-doubt. To make you feel better, they always say “Ronald, you’re doing a lot better than a lot of people.” But then again, I’m also doing worse than a lot of people. So I find myself in a constant limbo, caught between the living up to my sometimes irrationally high standards, and a world who settles for mediocrity, in which I REFUSE to conform to. Living in a society where you have 24 year old millionaires and 24 year olds who have been in prison for 10 years, its hard to find where you fit on the spectrum of success. This is something I struggle with damn near everyday. And all the time I tell myself just to be comfortable at my own pace, and reassure myself that I will get what I need to done. The problem with that is: I have a hard time dealing with the notion of “Comfort”.  I find being comfortable a form of settling, therefore I can never be comfortable with what I have, with what I’ve done, regardless of who I’m doing better than. “Don’t tell me to reach for the sky, when there are footprints on the moon.” I don’t know who said that, but it sums up my insatiable appetite for progress. The same goals that others reach and feel a sense accomplishment, I reach and wonder what would have happened if I worked harder, focused more, and then I’m already eyeballing my next move. The question of my life: is it better to be satisfied and be happy with what you have? Or to never be satisfied and never be happy because you are well aware that there are always going to be higher plateaus that you know you can reach if you just work harder?

This entry really had me thinking because many people set standards for themselves or goals they would like to reach and once they have accomplished it, they are satisfied. But, why not try to surpass that goal or standard? There are many people in this world who tend to settle instead of trying to go above and beyond. I have yet to reach the goals that I have set for myself, but I do know that I probably won't be satisfied when I do. I will always try and go beyond those goals just to continue testing myself and see how far I can go.

What are your thoughts about this? Have you reached the goals you have set for  yourself? If so, did you just stop and settle with where you are at or did you set even higher goals to be reached? 
I have included the link to my friends blog so feel free to check it out
http://drapersmodernlife.tumblr.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment