Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Witness to Suicide

Today something very tragic occurred on 34th street. As a co-worker of mine was on her lunch break, she witnessed a suicide. She was walking down the street to Chipotle and out of nowhere a man lands right in front of her DEAD!!! He allegedly jumped out of a window or off of a building plunging to his death. She came back to the job and told us what she'd seen and then threw up. She began to cry and was in utter shock. My manager had to send her home early due to her condition.

Now I sit and think how would I have reacted if I was in her shoes. I know I would have definitely screamed because any little thing makes me jump. But would I have been able to get that image out of my head? I really have the feeling that my co-worker will need counseling because that sight may forever be etched into her mind. I just hope she can get over what she has seen and that that 21yr old man has found peace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is terrible. I have never seen an actual body fall from the sky like that but I have seen someone jump and it bothered me for a long time. I was driving across a bridge and saw him leap. All I could do was pull over and dial 9-1-1 and pray that he was alive even though I knew he was hoping against that. I couldn't see him, but I read the next morning he had died. People who attempt suicide have their reasons but it's incredibly selfish to their family and friends, as well as the stranger that may be walking or driving below and the people that have to see it happening. They have to know they aren't doing this alone, but that they are taking parts of someone with them.

    Tiffany
    http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete